How to Choose the Right Senior Living Community for Your Family
When it comes to selecting a senior living option that is the most appropriate for your family member, there is a myriad of factors to consider.
- Have a clear understanding of your loved one’s needs. Find a community that is the best possible match to fill those needs.
- Consider the quality, reputation, and policies of the senior living community.
- Give consideration to your budget and the affordability of the options that meet your other criteria.
Other factors such as location (proximity to family members, doctors’ offices, etc.) and your loved one’s comfort level with the community will also come into play.
Meeting Your Family Member’s Needs
To determine the most appropriate senior living community, you should consider your loved one’s physical and cognitive abilities, as well as his or her personality, temperament, and personal preferences. With this information in mind, you will then be able to narrow your search to a specific type of community that is most appropriate for your family member. As a general guideline, the following criteria can be helpful in determining the best match:
INDEPENDENT LIVING is for individuals who…
• are largely self-sufficient.
• are able to take care of daily needs without assistance.
• prefer the flexibility to set their own schedules and prepare their own meals.
• enjoy their freedom but want to live in a safe, secure environment.
• like the convenience of living in a maintenance-free community with access to fine dining, regular entertainment, and other amenities.
Read more about Senior Independent Living
ASSISTED LIVING is for those who…
• need assistance with activities of daily living such as grooming, bathing, medication management, toileting, and mobility.
• require such services as laundry, household chores, maintenance, and meal preparation.
• crave regular opportunities for socialization but are unable to achieve it without help and guidance.
• prefer a regular routine and predictable schedule of activities.
Read more about Senior Assisted Living
MEMORY CARE is the most appropriate choice for individuals who…
• have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia.
• are cognitively impaired to the point where they no longer are able to care for themselves, or their safety and well-being is being compromised.
Read more about Senior Memory Care
A SKILLED NURSING FACILITY is for persons who…
• suffer from a chronic physical or cognitive illness or condition.
• require around-the-clock care.
Read more about Senior Nursing Homes
A CONTINUING CARE RETIREMENT COMMUNITY is for persons who…
• older adults that are currently healthy, however seek a community that will care for them as their needs change.
• prefer communities that offer independent living, assisted living, and nursing home care within the same location.
Read more about: Senior Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC)
Read more about Senior In-Home Care
What Impacts Cost?
The cost of senior living depends primarily on four factors:
1. The type of senior living community or facility (independent living, assisted living, memory care, or
2. The geographical location in which the senior living community/facility is located
3. Living accommodations and amenities
4. Service fees and the quality of care
Since cost is often largely determined by the type of senior living community, let’s take a closer
look at each category and also explore how some of the other factors (geographic location, living
accommodations, additional fees, and quality of care) may also affect the cost.
Find a Senior Living Community:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Popular Senior Living Cities:
- Albuquerque, NM
- Anaheim, CA
- Austin, TX
- Baltimore, MD
- Boise, ID
- Bowie, MD
- Centennial, CO
- Chandler, AZ
- Chicago, IL
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Dallas, TX
- Denver, CO
- Escondido, CA
- Fresno, CA
- Gilbert, AZ
- Glendale, AZ
- Houston, TX
- Huntington Beach, CA
- Indianapolis, IN
- Jacksonville, FL
- Kent, WA
- Lawrenceville, GA
- Los Angeles, CA
- Marietta, GA
- Mesa, AZ
- Miami, FL
- Mission Viejo, CA
- Palm Bay, FL
- Peoria, AZ
- Phoenix, AZ
- Plano, TX
- Portland, OR
- Richmond, VA
- Roseville, CA
- Sacramento, CA
- Salem, OR
- San Antonio, TX
- San Diego, CA
- Santa Rosa, CA
- Scottsdale, AZ
- Seattle, WA
- Silver Spring, MD
- Southfield, MI
- Spokane, WA
- Surprise, AZ
- Tampa, FL
- Thousand Oaks, CA
- Torrance, CA
- Tucson, AZ
- Vancouver, WA